Salaam!
I guess it's about time I write an update. I've been in Israel/Palestine over a month now. I'm doing well. Things are never easy but I'm safe, I have everything I need, including the fellowship of other Christians, and as I am getting the hang of life here everything is becoming a lot less overwhelming.
My kids are adorable, but the most rambunctious children I have ever met. I love kids, but I like being their friends a lot more than yelling at them all day. Everyday it is a challenge to get through the lessons, mostly because it takes about 15 minutes to get their books out and I can hardly ever get them to all be quiet at the same time, and when I do its only for about 30 seconds. I hate being mean, but there's really no other way to get through the lesson. I'm hoping that as I get better at teaching I'll be able to be able to find appropriate time to be a fun nice teacher. I'm hoping things will also go over smoother once Ramadan is over. For this past month the Muslims have been fasting from food and drink all day and can only eat or drink once the sun goes down. Because of that my kids are often tired, sick, and grouchy. We also get out at 1:30 instead of three, so we have less time in each lesson. The Eid starts on Sunday, which is the big Muslim holiday (sort of like our Christmas). It consists of three days of feasting and celebrating. We have three days off of school for it, which I will use to hike up north in the Golan Heights. I'm very excited!
Although the children can be incredibly difficult they have their really cute, funny moments. They seem particularly interested in when I plan on getting married. Haha, I tell them I haven't set a date yet. So far they have theoretically set me up with uncles, brothers, numerous teachers/administrators from the school (most who are married), and several Arab actors from their favorite tv shows (I believe several are cartoons).
Right now I am teaching about insects in Science. They are really enjoying it, and I allow them to bring in bugs in sealed containers. Yesterday a boy brought a jar full of ants, which all escaped onto my desk from the airholes at the top of the container.
Life is full of new experiences outside school as well. Last time I was here I lived at a gated American School in west (Jewish) Jerusalem. Now I live in a neighborhood called Dahia in East Jerusalem. It's about 90% Muslim and is the furthest neighborhood East before you end up in the West Bank. I walk next to the separation wall when I leave my apartment. I thought living within the Israeli side of the wall would make things more relaxed, but I've found its actually a lot more tense. When I visit the west bank things seem much more chill because the people have more ownership of their area, Israel isn't interfering as much with their normal life since the Israel police do not have jurisdication there, and the Jews and the Arabs are completely separated. Where I am, however, the police are driving around checking IDs, you have to figure out which cab drivers (Jew or Arab) will bring you where, Jewish and Arab neighborhoods are close together which allows for some mixing in certain areas and on the roads, and other small tensions that are evident in a society that has two very angry and hurt people groups mixing.
Two days ago I was about to leave for Bible study when a large group of men came running down the hill and behind the wall in front of my apartment. At first I thought there was going to be a fight, but then I realized they look much more scared than angry and they were hiding behind the wall with stones in their hands. It was clear they were being chased and I decided it probably wasn't a good idea to leave. They weren't dangerous, but I didn't want to get caught between anything, especially since I live at the dead end of the street. I called the principal, Shane, and he told me not to leave until he had come to pick me up in the car. We think that it was a group of men who had climbed over the wall in order to get the the Al Aqsa Mosque because of some special blessing that was available this weekend, and they had probably been spotted by the police. The separation wall is interesting because it doesn't really keep people out if they really want to come. Lately the newest spot to climb over is just down the street where they cut the barb wire and climb down the wall using some really thick industrial size saran wrap. If we ever see them we just say hi or Salam so they know we are friendly and not about to call the police on them. They also go through the sewer systems often. Most are young men who just want to hang out with friends or family in the area or go to the mosque, but they risk heavy sentences as well as police brutality if they get caught without an Israeli ID.
One thing I struggle a bit with here is stir craziness. I'm very busy most of the time, but when I do have some time, there isn't much I can do. I feel a lot like I am trapped in my apartment. When I'm bored I'm used to being able to go to the coffee shop or for a bike ride or to take the dog to the park. Now, as a American woman in a Muslim culture, not only is it not very safe for me to be walking around alone, its also not culturally appropriate. To make matters worse, I just found out yesterday that I am no longer able to use the school vehicle because I need to be 24 years old in order to be covered by their insurance. This morning I took the Arab bus about as close as I could to a coffee shop in a Jewish neighborhood and walked the last mile. I'm learning a lot to roll with the flow and adapt to things being way out of my comfort zone, as well as to appreciate the conveniences and freedom I have back at home.
I'm also learning of the peace that comes from God. Back home things can be so much easier. When I have a bad day I can run to the coffee shop or give the dog a hug and find comfort in things like that. Although those are huge blessings I have, here I find myself going to God in prayer or in the Scripture. Being separated from the things I found comfort in before has taught me to rely on God more than every before. It seems like a terribly simple lesson, but I never experienced it so strongly before.
I also found that I cling to the Christian community. Its easy to feel very isolated here, but my spirits are always lifted when I am with the other Christians from our school, especially after we worship and read Scripture together. I am in three Bible studies, and although I often feel too tired to go, I am always re-energized afterward. I re-read parts of "Life Together" by Dietrich Bonhoeffer this past summer. He talks about how great a blessing it is to be in community with other Christians. It was hard to be as appreciative of this when I was at Wheaton, where I was constantly surrounded by Christian community, but now, living in a Muslim society, his message really hit home.
There are several things I could use prayer for. First, for patience and a right attitude. I often become frustrated with the lack of communication at our school and grow bitter. It is easy to meet with other volunteers and spend the majority of our time complaining about things. Also, I have had a lot of anxiety in the morning for the last couple of weeks. I don't know why this hits every morning, but its no fun starting each day homesick and worrying about anything from money to the coming school day. Often the Muslim call to prayer will wake me around 4 AM and I can't get back to sleep. You can also pray for my kids. They all need prayer for patients with me and each other and for good attitudes, but I know several of them have a less than healthy family and home life. I've listed all their names below.
Well, I better get going. It's the Muslim holy day and Shabbat starts at Sundown, so it will be more difficult to find transportation back the later it gets. I'm sorry I'm horrible at keeping in touch, I promise I'll try to get better. I'll try to write shorter and more organized posts more often on the blog. I hope each and everyone of you is doing well. Please keep me updated on your lives; I miss everyone so much!
Salaam,
Molly
Miss Molly's fourth grade class =)
Nour, Awni, Owais, Shadi, Siwar, David, Marah, Malvina, William, Lamara, Moran (yes, his name is actually Moran), Yasmin, Razan, Mahammed, Sara, Saif, Mariya, and Clara
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Enjoy hiking! If you ever get a break again or the stir-craziness gets too much, you should come to Amman. Or maybe I'll get to Jerusalem eventually. But it's good to hear your update.
Post a Comment